Carlos Alberto Miranda Duarte
Scientific Area: Industrial Design - Simplicity vs. Complexity
Awards: 2010, Gold Mercury Sustainability Awards 2010 in the Design & Decoration Category - Most Sustainable Design: Gold Mercury International and AIMMP - Association of the Wood and Furniture Industries of Portugal.
2016, Honorary Member of the “Clube de Criativos de Portugal”. 2015, 2016, 2017, IADE’s one the top 50 Design Schools in Europe, by the Italian magazine Domus
Ciência Vitae: cienciavitae.pt//0C11-4635-118A
Research Interests: Subjective assessments that include methods that explore and use perception and visualization (the measurement of the amount of relativistic information) and long waves applied to the design history.
Carlos A. M. Duarte was born in Mozambique (29-07-1962). Graduated as an industrial designer by IADE – Escola Superior de Design. He completed his Ph.D. on Production Engineering, in 2001 at the Universidade da Beira Interior and Agregado (German Habilitation) in Electromechanical Engineering at the Universidade de Trás-os-Montes e Alto Douro in 2012. He is (Full) Professor of IADE – Universidade Europeia.
Researcher and member of UNIDCOM/IADE – a R&D Unit on Design and Communication. Today, he is Vice-rector of Universidade Europeia for Research & Quality and Accreditation and Vice-President of Europeia ID - Association for Research, is a private and non-profit association that promotes and develops scientific research activities in different fields and acting as an institutional entity that integrates research units. Published book-chapters and was Chair of different international conferences.
Other appointments history:
- 2016 - 2017, Dean of IADE – Universidade Europeia;
- 2014 - 2016, Rector of IADE-U (Instituto de Arte, Design e Empresa – Universitário);
- 2012 - 2015, Vice-President (Talent ID - Association for Research in Design, Marketing and Communications);
- 2008 - 2014, President (IADE – Creative University);
- 2007 - 2012, Direction Board President (IADE – Marketing and Advertising School);
- 2006 - 2012, Direction Board President (IADE - Design School);
- 1996 - 2004, Coordinator, Team Group of Design and Production Engineering, Optoelectronics Department (INETI - National Institute of Industrial Engineering and Technology).
Duarte, C. A. M. (2017). Mutual aid: as an evolutionary process of cooperation in design to achieve simplicity. In 9th International Conference’s: Senses & Sensibility 2017: Design Beyond Borders. Funchal, Portugal.
Mendes, F., & Duarte, C. A. M. (2017). Design Education in a Stigmergic Context: Coworking Spaces as Learning Places Based on Local and Mass Collaboration. In Proceedings of DDC’17 4th – Design Doctoral Conference 17. Lisbon, Portugal.
Mendes, F., & Duarte, C. A. M. (2016). Coworking: Open and Informal Design Classroom. In E. Duarte, C. Duarte, & F. Carvalho Rodrigues (Eds.), Design Doctoral Conference’16: TRANSversality - Proceedings of the DDC 3rd Conference(pp. 97–103). Lisboa: UNIDCOM/IADE. Retrieved from http://unidcom.iade.pt/ddc16/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Proceedings-e-Book.pdf
Mendes, F., & Duarte, C. (2015). Coworking as a S-gmergic and Informal Learning Space. In E. Duarte, C. Duarte, & F. Carvalho Rodrigues (Eds.), Proceedings of the 8th International Conference Senses & Sensibility: Design as a Trade(pp. 339–345). Lisbon: UNIDCOM/IADE. Retrieved from https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f1mr2bepvh9eth5/AAA4zdGjmjc8_Eou6V2aTuUsa?dl=0
Duarte, C. (2013). Simplicity in Design is also an Engineering parameter. In Advances in Industrial Design Engineering. INTECH.
- Duarte, Carlos, Carvalho Rodrigues, F.; (2005) Tempos in Portuguese Religious Architecture 1050 – 1950, in The Incalculability of Architecture, Osrodek Wydawnictw Naukowych, Poznan, Polónia; ISBN: 83-7314-093-X;
- Duarte, Carlos; (2005) Design VS Matéria, Tempo e Identidade, Catálogo do Projecto Significados da Matéria no Design, Edição SUSDESIGN, Setembro 2005; ISBN: 972-99785-0-6;
- Duarte, Carlos, (2007) The Seductive Design: Technology as a Tool for Persuasion. Foresighting Methodology of Control in Design: Relativistic Approach in Ganor, Boaz; Knop, Katharina Von; Duarte, Carlos (Ed.), Hypermedia Seduction for Terrorist Recruiting, IOS Press Books Online, NATO Security through Science Series, E: Human and Societal Dynamics, pp. 169-187, Volume 25; ISBN: 978-1-58603-761-1;
- Duarte, Carlos, (2013) Measuring Design Simplicity, in Advances in Industrial Design Engineering, INTECH; ISBN 980-953- 307-572-8;
- Mendes, Fernando; Duarte, Carlos A. M.; Tschimmel, Katja, (2020) Design Education. Human Factors at the Core of a Coworking Self-determined New Design Learning Approach, in Advances in Ergonomics in Design, pp 350-355, part of the Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing book series (AISC, volume 1203), Springer, July 2020; ISBN 978-3-030-51037-4; DOI: 10.1007/978-3-030-51038-1_48;
- Selau L.G., van der Linden J.C..S., Duarte C.A.M., Leinonen T. (2021) Proposal and Requirements for a Platform that Assists Teaching–Learning in the Problematization of Design Projects. In: Cordan Ö., Dinçay D.A., Yurdakul Toker Ç., Öksüz E.B., Semizoğlu S. (eds) Game + Design Education. Springer Series in Design and Innovation, vol 13. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-65060-5_26. Print ISBN978-3-030-65059-9.
- Currently, researcher co-responsible for the Project of R&I in Maritime Space MAR2020-P04M03-0496P/ “BLUE CIRCULAR POSTBRANDING PROJECT”.
- Specialist at advisory boards or scientific committees, such as: FCT – Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (Doctoral Program Scholarships); DGES - Higher Education Portuguese Board (Member of the Commission of Experts on Design and Plastic Arts); IAPMEI – Portuguese Institute for Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (Mentor for Young Entrepreneurs). Published book-chapters and organizer of different international conferences and workshops.
- He was Chair of the following international conferences: “Senses & Sensibility” Lisbon, September 2003; “Pride and Pre-Design” CUMULUS Lisbon, May 2005; “Design & CC: SOS! – Design and Commercial Communications: Seek Optimal Synergies”, Lisbon, November 2007; “40 IADE 40 from 1969 to 2049”, Lisbon, October 2009; and “Senses & Sensibility in Lisbon: Design, Marketing, Advertising, Photography and Visual Culture in the right place”, October 2011; UNIDCOM/ IADE’s 8th International Conference’s: Senses & Sensibility in the Right Place, Lisbon, October 2015.
Student: Maria Paula Trigueiros da Silva Cunha
Title: “Máquinas de venda automáticas: estudo de métodos visando a melhoria da acessibilidade a pessoas com necessidades especiais”
Date: Julho, 2018
Area: Universidade de Trás-os-Montes e Alto Douro, Portugal
Student: Ana Maria Vieira Rebelo Correia de Barros
Title: “Produtos de Apoio: Engenharia, Design e Desenvolvimento”
Date: Setembro, 2012
Area: Universidade da Beira Interior, Portugal
Student: Ana Catarina Angélico da Costa Espada
Title: “Design promoting innovation to stablish circular business models: how to prevent the single use of plastic?”
Date: Dezembro, 2020
Area: Doutoramento em Design, IADE – Universidade Europeia, Portugal
Student: Luiza Grazziotin Selau
Title: “Plataforma para a etapa de problematização no ensino de design”
Date: Março de 2021
Area: Programa de Pós-Graduação em Design da Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Brasil e Doutoramento em Design, IADE – Universidade Europeia, Portugal