Gabriel César Ferreira Pestana
Scientific Area: Sistemas de Informação
Category: Professor Auxiliar
Data Science: Machine Learning, (Geo)Visual Data Analytics, Analytics-as-a-Service (AaaS), Insight Knowledge & Data
Monetization: Context-awareness and Data Classification, Service Design Thinking & Business Intelligence, Information Visualization & Dynamic Interactions
Business Process Management: Requirements Engineering, Goal & Process Modelling, Enterprise Systems Architectures, Predictive iBPM (Intelligent Business Process Management)
Prof. Gabriel Pestana (male), obtained his PhD at the Technical University of Lisbon in the area of Information Systems being a promoter of applied research methodologies in the fields of Knowledge Management and Collaborative Decision Support Systems. Study solutions settled over the importance of data semantic, with alerts triggered based on the user role/profile. At Conceptualizing and implementing innovative graphical interfaces (e.g., Interactive Dashboards) with metadata to support location based services and the surveillance of events based on spatial and temporal context parameters. His research addresses the study of Business Intelligence solutions with requirements for real-time monitoring of events (i.e., situational awareness). Consolidated experience at implementing solutions settled over the importance of data semantic and data analytics with alerts triggered based on the user role/profile.
Experienced in conceptualizing and implementing innovative graphical interfaces (e.g. dynamic Dashboards) with visual analytic models and techniques to support context-awareness. Has an active research participation on a set of national and international projects, related mainly to the following sectors: security and healthcare.
Ten years of experience in teaching at higher education in the area of Informatics and Computer Science, together with research work in collaboration with national and international R&D groups and institutions. Member of the jury and coordinator of some MSc thesis, responsible for organizing diverse events (e.g., workshops, conferences, lectures) for the scientific community and informatics engineering professionals.
Project/Workpackage Manager/Coordinator in international R&D projects, namely:
- ROCSAFE (H2020 Ref. 700264 - 2016/2018), WP coordinator & senior research responsible to coordinate teamwork, design a Dashboard for a Command and Control system with georeferenced information. Gamification mechanisms and Visual Analytics techniques. Adoption of the Service Design Thinking Paradigm.
- TRILLION (H2020 Ref. 653256 - 2015/2017), WP coordinator & senior research responsible to coordinate teamwork, specification of a rules engine and collaborative data analytic system (predictive modelling); Geo-Dashboard Community Policing, implementation of Gamification mechanisms (self-awareness, self-regulation, motivation), adoption of visual analytics techniques .
- Active@Work (Ref.: AAL/0006/2013, Ambient Assisted Living - 2014/2017), Scientific coordinator, monitoring clinical parameters of (older adults) workers to detect situations of anxiety in the workplace. Skills Development Management, design of an info-structure to support Data Analytic.
- HandHold (FP7-SEC Ref. 284456 - 2011/2014) Responsible for WP, Dashboard for implementing a Control Centre with alert mechanisms and severity levels triggered for different user profiles. Monitor events, with context-awareness situation for decision makers to deal with critical situations.
Araújo, J., & Pestana, G. (2017). A framework for social well-being and skills management at the workplace. International Journal of Information Management, 37(6), 718–725. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijinfomgt.2017.07.009
Araújo, J., & Pestana, G. (2017). Articulating Gamification and Visual Analytics as a Paradigm for Flexible Skills Management BT - Recent Advances in Information Systems and Technologies. In Á. Rocha, A. M. Correia, H. Adeli, L. P. Reis, & S. Costanzo (Eds.) (pp. 185–196). Cham: Springer International Publishing.
Marcão, R. P., Pestana, G., & Sousa, M. J. (2017). Enterprise architecture as a key to address performance management (through gamification). In IRES -284th International Conference on Science, Technology and Management (ICSTM). Singapore. https://doi.org/IRES.29092017.5684
Marcão, R. P., Pestana, G., & Sousa, M. J. (2017). Gamification in sales effectiveness activity. In 294th International Conference on Science, Technology and Management (ICSTM). San Francisco, USA.
Gramacho, F., & Pestana, G. (2017). Health Outcomes Analysis for the Patient in Hospital Context BT - Recent Advances in Information Systems and Technologies. In Á. Rocha, A. M. Correia, H. Adeli, L. P. Reis, & S. Costanzo (Eds.) (pp. 717–723). Cham: Springer International Publishing.
Marcão, R. P., Pestana, G., & Sousa, M. J. (2016). Corporate frameworks and technological products focusing alarmistic and monitoring indicators of control and performance. In 11th Information Systems and Technologies Conference (CISTI’16). https://doi.org/10.1109/CISTI.2016.7521432
Pestana, G., Catelas, P., & Rosa, I. (2015). A Multi-driven Approach to Improve Data Analytics for Multi-Value Dimensions. New Contributions in Information Systems and Technologies, Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, 354, 115–128. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-16528-8_12
Pestana, G., Heuchler, S., Casaca, J. A., Reis, P., & Metter, J. (2013). Complex Event Processing for Decision Support in an Airport Environment. Proc of the International Journal On Advances in Software, 6(3 & 4).
- Carme Vidal Quintáns, Design of a Situation-Awareness Solution to Support Infrastructure Inspections, 2017/2018, Mestrado Design Interação
- Inês Alexandra Fagundes Mártires, Design da Interação do Utilizador no Agendamento de Consultas e Exames Via Smartphone, 2017/2018, Mestrado Design Interação
- Beatriz Rodrigues Vidal Ferreira, Formas inovadoras no Design e Publicidade para profissionais com necessidades especiais, 2018/2019, Mestrado em Design e Publicidade